Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 00:59:49 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nuances

	This is interesting, and it's also good.

	Jordan, you're right, this is a good basic idea: "no limits".
Ads must be targeted, and the narrower the audience the narrower the
ad.  Take a look at "Iron Age", if it's still published: a trade
press publication for the steel construction industry.  The ads
are all masculine and are utterly incomprehensible.

	To be effective, a slogan must be short.  "Just do it!" is
a masterpiece of its type.  Jordan's also right: "Coke is it!" ...
isn't. (Isn't "it", that is.)  By these lights the right slogan
would be, "FreeBSD: No limits!"  However, this sound more appropriate
to selling high-ticket sneakers than an operating system.

	Our target audience is very narrow: those who specify an
operating system.  They have to a) know what one is, and b) know (or
think they know, and as advertisers the last thing we want to do is
disabuse them of this notion) enough about them to make such a
decision.  In a case like this, a more literate approach is probably
better, at the cost of a few more words:

	FreeBSD: There are no limits.

	Picture a guy whose clothes look somewhat distressed breaking
out of a cage made of Microsoft manuals.

	Hmmm?

Mike O'Brien