Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:43:50 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        madunix <madunix@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open_Source

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM, madunix <madunix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I want to know out of your experience people the following,
> 1- How open source served your businesses =A0requirements?

Allowing extensibility.  Generally, if something needs to be changed,
it _can_ be changed, and usually with minimal overhead.

> 2- What kind of application that running on Open Source?

This is a very vague question.  Do you mean desktop or server
applications?  (I use FreeBSD for both purposes... Hopefully that
answers your question. :) )

> 3- General experience with Open Source technology?

I believe people can get more experience in general with open source
technologies than they can with closed source.  The reason is simple:
I can look at the code.  I can study it.  I can see what
${APPLICATION} is doing, and how the developer designed it.  This, in
itself, makes me better at what I do, and better at troubleshooting my
own code.

On the same note, free software enables me to get experience with more
applications without burning through my wallet. :)

> Your input would be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> madunix

--=20