Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:02:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.jdyson.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Just some comments about FreeBSDV5.0

Gang,
	I am purposefully posting to 'chat' to avoid getting very
	involved, however, I have some good news (and some minor
	bad news) about V5.0.  Suggestions about reading release
	notes, etc need not apply -- because the principle of
	least astonishment (POLA) needs to apply no matter what.

	Good news:  it is incredibly responsive.  I have been
                    impressed with it, and the improvements
	            appear real.  I am NOT easily impressed.

	Bad news:  the filesystem stuff is a little unfriendly.
	           firstly, it seems to 'modify' already existant
	           FFS filesystems too much to maintain full
	           compatibility with older systems.  This is true
	           even when passively doing a mount of older
	           filesystems, and only reading (but not RO.)  Also,
	           I am using VINUM with debug mode off, and that
	           has some source code errors for that mode.
	           VINUM has also modified the on-disk structure
	           too much for reverse compatibility (maybe related
	           to other filesystem changes instead of VINUM.)

	There is *definitely* improvement in responsiveness over
	older versions of the system.   There are also some problems
	of the code being 'green.'  I have participated in worse
	releases, and 5.1 will probably be incredibly good.

	A better designed kernel restructuring would have been better,
	but otherwise, the results are very good.

	John