Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 02:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Dan Seguin <dseg@texar.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Connect and so on..

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > This needs to be a valid structure in USER space, not kernel.
> >
> > OK. I suspected as much. Question is: how do I open a connection from
> > KERNEL space?
>
> You don't.
>
> If you're really desperate to do this, you'll have to patch _all_ of
> the system calls to work out whether they're being called from the
> kernel or from userspace.
>
> There's actually a lot of utility in this, as it makes calling them
> easier from ABI modules as well.  If you're looking for a nice,
> relatively easy FreeBSD hacking project, there's one right there.

Another argument to the syscall format...  I remember we took the
retval away (stuck it in proc) and now we could replace it with that.
That's beside the point. He doesn't need to initiate the connection
in userland, just pass in the context (user-space sockaddr_in) for
it to use. The other mistake is he thinks this will make the whole thing
atomic... I'm not so sure about that one.

> --
> \\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/