Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 08:24:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyes01@ibm.net>
Subject:   Re: Could not get SGML pages

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I am thinking to start helping first with PC hardware compatibility
> since that is rather empty. After than I am planning to work in

Yes indeed.  What I think this section needs first is a good
plan.  We need to clearly define the scope of the section and the
format for the entries.  I personally think the nature of this
section is ill defined at the moment, and it shows in the
entries.  Some observations:

  * A comprehensive list of compatible hardware would be utterly
    impossible to develop or maintain, but...

  * A listing of officially supported hardware, and specific
    hardware commonly known to work well with FreeBSD are helpful
    to new users, and those purchasing or building systems
    explicitly for FreeBSD.

  * Likewise, notes identifying known incompatible hardware, or
    quirky hardware with workarounds are also very helpful.

  * There are procedures that are closely tied to specific
    hardware, but this information is quite different from
    the above "good" and "bad" and "quirky" listings.  Maybe
    this sort of thing actually belongs elsewhere?

> Could we get someone to create a form to place in the current pages
> so people could supply their configuration in a formated way?

Certainly.

> What I am looking for is a form that would generate a file that
> could be parsed. For instance something like:
>
> #CPU: Intel 486/33
> #Video card: Speedstar
> #Hard Drive: Maxtor......

Or, since I'm an SGML junkie, howe about something like:

<cpu>
  <make>Intel
  <model>486
  <speed>33
<video>
  <make>Orchid
  <model>Kelvin
<harddrive>
  <make>Maxtor
  <model>...

and so on.  We already have a pair of tools (sgmls and sgmlsasp)
that would make quick work of turning this into whatever other
format (HTML, ascii, tables for importing into a database...)

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================