Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:24:26 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

First time I've tried replying inline on this newer phone=2E Bear with me a=
s this reply may not look like I intend it to=2E

On January 25, 2019 11:07:55 AM PST, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD=2Eor=
g> wrote:

>Le 25 janvier 2019 18:12:58 GMT+01:00, Cy Schubert
><Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom> a =C3=A9crit :
>>On January 25, 2019 8:57:51 AM PST, Baptiste Daroussin
>><bapt@FreeBSD=2Eorg> wrote:
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I would like to import mksh in base, https://www=2Emirbsd=2Eorg/mksh=2E=
htm
>>>And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)
>>>
>>>Why:
>>>1/ it is tiny 400k (in the packaged version) all other shells fitting
>>>the
>>>expectation are bigger
>>>2/ it's default frontend in interactive mode is very close to what
>>most
>>>people
>>>are used to with bash and shells as default root shell on other BSD
>>and
>>>most
>>>linuxes
>>>3/ from my narrow window csh as a default root shell is one of the
>>>major
>>>complaint (usually the first thing a user get faced to) from new
>>comers
>>>and
>>>also for some long timers who are reinstalling a machine and have not
>>>yet
>>>installed/configured a bourne compatible shell
>>>
>>>What this proposal is _NOT_ about:
>>>1/ the removal of tcsh from base
>>>2/ any kid of denial of the quality and interest or features of csh
>>>
>>>What do you think?
>>>Best regards,
>>>Bapt
>>
>>Why not ksh93 instead? It is the original and authoritative Korn
>shell=2E
>>EPL is compatible with the BSD license=2E Personally, I've been toying
>>with the idea of importing ksh93 for a while now=2E
>>

>The reason I chose mksh is because it is heavily maintained and from
>the testing I have done it was the "nicer" interface

Ksh93 is also heavily maintained=2E  Look at their github activity=2E My k=
sh93-devel port has been tracking updates (I consider important)=2E

>>As to replacing root's shell, replacing tcsh is a large POLA
>violation=2E
>
>It will not replace in existing installation just make it the default
>in new installation I can t see how this is a POLA violation if it is
>in new setup on new major version (upgrades won t be affacted)
>
>> Maybe give users the option at install time instead=2E=20
>
>Doable, unsure it is worth it but yes we can do that if that is asked a
>lot

I'm less concerned about this and am willing to concede this point if I ha=
ve to=2E

However as ksh93 is IMO the better ksh and it's not a clone, it's the real=
 ksh, and the license is compatible,  why would we settle on less than the =
real thing?

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E