Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 16:14:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Printer To Get - Postscript

I trimmed the CC: list here ...

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> > > Stefan, I thought all the inkjets used PCL5 as their language.  If that's
> > > true, it's completely documented in stuff available from HP.
> >
> > No, the 870 uses PCL3+ whatever superset of PCL3 that might be...
> > I bought one a month or so ago, and it is endeed a nice printer.
>
> Well, Søren said it better than I ever could (and with less words :)
>
> The problem is, that while the HP-PCL manuals I have (from nearly
> ten year old HP printers) still apply, but in order to use the
> high-reolution graphics modes, you need undocumented ESC sequences,
> that appear to be common to the HP560C and newer printers.

Ahh.  Well, as a service to anyone else who is considering buying a cheap HP
Deskjet, I have the 693, and it's been a lifesaver, producing copy for an
English class, where the instructor has been much more concerned with how
it looks than with what it says.  Color is fine, apsfilter compatibility
is great, bw is flawless, and the printer was relatively inexpensive.

The 693 is the Windows version, which bundles in some Windows software
that I haven't bothered taking the shrinkwrap off of.  The version that
doesn't bundle in the Windows software doesn't seem to be commercially
available.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |