Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 11:35:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        William Maddox <maddox@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed p90 hardware configuration

> system can be put together for approximately $5000.  I have put these
> specs out for quotations from several local dealers, and expect to
> plunk down the money in the next week or so.
>
>   Intel Pentium 90
>   Micronics M54Pi motherboard w/256k cache,
>     (Intel Neptune chipset, Phoenix BIOS)
>   16 Mb DRAM  (2 x 72-pin 8Mb 60ns SIMMs w/parity)
>   Adaptec 2940 PCI Fast SCSI-II host adapter
>   Hewlett-Packard 3724 1.2Gb 9.5ms 3.5" disk drive w/512k cache
>   Hewlett-Packard 35470 2Gb 4mm DAT
>   Toshiba XM3601B 4x CDROM
>   #9GXE64 PCI graphics accelerator w/ 2Mb DRAM
>   Nokia 447x 17" .25mm dot-pitch Trinitron Monitor
>   Teac 1.44 Mb 3.5" floppy drive
>   Lexmark (IBM) 101-key keyboard
>   Logitech First Mouse 3-button serial mouse
>   PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 300 power supply
>   PC Power and Cooling Solid-Steel Mini-Tower case w/ 2nd cooling fan
>   Heatsink and fan for P90 chip
>   MS-DOS 6.2x  (for diagnostics, setup utilities, DOOM, etc.)

Nothing on here seems bad to be except the price. That configuration
would *not* go for $3500 on the East Coast off the top of my head
(especially with only a 1.2 gig drive, a 2 gig DAT and 16 megs of RAM). I
could be wrong, but I don't think so. I bought a Micronics P90 for
personal use about 10 months ago with 32 Megs of RAM, a 1.04gig drive, a
17" ViewSonic Monitor, a 2 meg Genoa Diamond or Stealth monster, with a
4x CD-ROM, Sound Blaster, etc, etc for less than $3500 almost a year ago.

I use a WangTek 2 Gig DAT with my FreeBSD machine.

Regards,

-Jerry.