Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:44:23 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: POSIX standards.. fixing breakage?]

--------------6201DD564487EB717DE14518

Could we form such a working group?
I know we could get input from just about everybody on this as
this has got to be the most broken part around..

julian

--------------6201DD564487EB717DE14518

From: "Nick Stoughton" <nick@relston.co.uk>
To: <julian@whistle.com>
Cc: "Jason Zions" <jazz@opennt.com>
Subject: RE: POSIX standards.. fixing breakage?
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 08:36:05 +0100

Well, there are several answers to this.

First, we are actively considering a full revision of POSIX.1,
possibly in conjunction with The Open Group updating the Single
Unix spec. Such "repairs" would be considered in that project.

However, now it is in the standard, there is existing industry
practice working with it. This means we are unlikely to change
the fundemental way an interface works. But, in a case where there
was an alternative way of specifying it, we might introduce
a new alternative interface that behaved differently.

> In particular "Posix file locking"
> I have never yet met a single person who believed that the posix
> file-locking was less than "brain dead".
> THis particular standard has led to the introduction of more
> obscure bugs and the bloating of mor ecode than one would believe
> possible.
>
> The main problem is:
> Locks are per file descriptor, except in the case where you close on of
> the file descriptors, and the locks go away on all teh other file
> descriptoors you have to that file.
>
> There has to be a way to get a change to this.

The standard says what it says. We can't change that. But we can add
to it -- perhaps a flag you can set via fcntl for persistent locks.
Actually, it may just be that one of the realtime subgroups is doing that
already; I'll try and check.

> julian

I will note this for discussion in the revision project.

Another approach, if you have enough people (about 4-5), might be to
undertake a new project yourself. This would allow you to produce
a new "POSIX File Locking" standard, which is stand-alone. If you
would like to know more about how to do this, Jason Zions
(jazz@opennt.com) is both chair of the working group responsible
for POSIX.1 and chair of the committee that reviews new projects
and advises them. I am also a member of both these groups.

Hope this is useful
--
Nick Stoughton