Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2018 08:13:19 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:10:02 -0700
"@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2018, at 11:15, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> > And as macOS is "somehow UNIX or even BSD", why doesn't
> > Apple provide a native iTunes program for FreeBSD? That
> > would make them look more professional - and me happy. :-)
>
> Two reasons, while OS X (Er, macOS) is Unix based, the GUI that iTunes
> runs in is much more than just a gnome-GUI and it would take massive
> efforts to port something like iTunes to FreeBSD.

	Perhaps -but iTunes also runs on Windows so most of the code must
be sitting on some kind of compatibility layer, it probably wouldn't be too
hard to add another backend to it - not that it's going to happen, if it
was there would have been a Linux version ages ago.

> Second, it’s an insignificantly small market since it only includes those
> very few people who run BSD and won’t use Windows or macOS.

	That of course is why the effort to add and maintain another backend
won't be happening.

> There’s a lot more whinging for Linux support, and that’s literally never
> going to happen since that would be much more effort for o my slightly
> larger user base.

	Yep.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>