Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:48:31 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting Problem

On 29 January 2013, at 20:25, doug@safeport.com wrote:

>=20
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Doug Hardie wrote:
>=20
>> On 29 January 2013, at 07:18, Mario Lobo wrote:
>>=20
>>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:16:14 -0800
>>> Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>>>=20
The
>=20
> What is the system you are using? What external devices does it have =
built-in support for? In the absence of any data - how about trying an =
external hard drive?

9.1 release - Generic.  Basically the disk1.  Don't have an extra =
external drive.

>=20
> Why not remove the hard drive, use another system to put FreeBSD on =
the drive, and put it back. =46rom that point on you should be able to =
use the network to upgrade.

I have done that before and it does work.  However,  with the various =
changes to the system, the root partition I had previously built that =
way for 8.2 is just not large enough for 9.1.  Also, I wanted to go to a =
single partition (the 9.1 default).  Probably freebsd-update will take =
me through major releases after this, but I was hoping for a better =
solution so I could avoid having to transport the machine a long way =
twice to be able to update it.