Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:09:22 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

Brett Glass wrote:
> >No, it's not.  It's not in the boot path, and it's not in the
> >required for installation path.
>
> That's only one very restrictive definition of "in the kernel."
> While it is true that the code is not loaded unless needed, this
> is true of many integral parts of operating systems.

They aren't integral, if they aren't in the boot or installation
path, since they are not required to get a minimally functional
system.

> The GPLed code is compiled every time you compile the kernel and
> is dynamically linked to it.

This is a problem for the distributors of already binary code that
is GPL'ed rather than LGPL'ed.  As it is, FreeBSD does not distribute
with binary code created this way, since to do so would potentially
cause legal problems.  It is up to the user's discretion whether or
not they choose to create a kerne with static or dynamic GPL'ed
modules.

> (As you know, the FSF considers dynamic linking to make two pieces
> of code a single unit.)

By this argument, installation of GPL'ed code, which is linked against
system libraries, and uses kernel services on non-GPL'ed OSs is at
risk.  I don't believe this.

> The code is referred to in the kernel's internal tables as a part
> that can be loaded at will.

Actually, no it is not.  It is in an FS directory or index file entry,
and an index of this sort is subject to compilation copyright only.

> The the kernel is fully aware that it can bring in the code in
> response to certain conditions just like any other driver or
> module. In short, the GPLed code is integrated. It is part of the
> kernel.

No, it's not, since it's not present by default, since the distribution
of GPL'ed code linked against the kernel wuld potentially make the
distribution illegal.

The kernel is also "aware" that it can load GPL'ed binaries (e.g.
implementation code), but that doesn't make the kernel GPL'ed.

I think the worst you could argue is that a product based on a
requirement for the GPL'ed driver/module in order to function
would either not be legally redistributable and/or would not be
legally licensed.

The way around that for something like a set top box, of course,
would be to simply license the use of the box, rather than
selling it or the code.

The GPL is full of loopholes like that.

-- Terry