Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:20:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kegrotla@korrnet.org (Kjell E Grotland)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IBM 57SLC

> Oh by the way i have heard a rumour that MAC PowerPCs will support
> FreeBSD. Any truth to this. That would be just totally awsome. Running
> FreeBSD on a RISC chip machine.

Depends.

Will they ever be as documented as the Motorolla Ultra 603/604
motherboards Soled by FirePower systems, Arrow Electronics, and
used in Motorolla PowerStack systems?

I have been unable to get my hands on the touted-for-Linux OSF/Mach
hardware interface so far, which is supposedly the only publically
available "documentation".

Even so, the hardware it applies to is the new Mac's, *NOT* the 6100,
7100, 8100 NuBus systems.  So if you can buy it used for a resonable
price, it won't run (ever) unless Apple documents it.

There is some indication from the NetBSD camp that the Mach code is
(like the Tennon Systems MACH-10) running through the ROM's.

This means that the drivers are single threaded, non-reentrant, and
a huge bottleneck to multiprocessing (hey!  Just like running MacOS
on top of those same ROM's!).

I know I've been arguing for BIOS-based fallback drivers for PC's
for forever, but they are not something on which one could safely
base an entire port (yes, I know the 1.1.5 PS/2 port which was never
released used ABIOS calls; ABIOS is not BIOS is not Mac ROM's).

Most likely I will be hacking on a BeBox after the SMP stuff is
committed and the Intel MP spec is abstracted under a HAL used by
the kernel (surprisingly, PPC based machines don't follow the Intel
MP spec... go figure 8-)).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org