Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:32:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hsu@freefall.freebsd.org (Jeffrey Hsu)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>   > It still bugs me that newfs (or better: UFS) is often wasting so many
>   > sectors at the end of a partition since it also still believes that
>   > disks have something like a uniform geometry that can be expressed in
>   > terms of cylinders, heads, and sectors...
>
> I wrote an ad-hoc brute-force program to determine the optimal -u
> paramter between 2048 and 4096 which will minimize the number of
> wasted cylinders.  I suggest we add the few lines to do this to
> newfs.

Actually, there's a nice formula that will do this; it's a second order
polonomial equation (from what I remember)... I worked it out once.

Probably you should post to sci.math asking for a soloution...

(From the anti-brute-force peanut gallery).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.