Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:32:03 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, "Joshua" <joshua@submatrix.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 40 and 80 pin cable and UDMA errors

Let me put in my $0.02 cents here..

I've rolled my own SCSI cables for years - the ones they sell don't generally
have enough connectors and not in the right places for the systems I've done.

In my experience, I've never seen a failure on a ribbon cable caused by
creases or bends or any such.  Now, granted, if you repeatedly bend a cable
back and forth over and over and over along one axis you will eventually break
it.  But copper is much more flexible than steel is and it streches too so
those little wires are fairly well protected and resistant to this.

However, what I have seen many times and has repeatedly dogged me is bad
connectors.  Sometimes it's the back of the connector where the cable is
crimped in.  Sometimes the failure is inside of the connector where it plugs
onto the pins sticking out.

The original 50 pin rectangular SCSI connectors and the smaller IDE connectors
had lots of problems with their little square pins and bad contacts where the
pin went into the connector.  This is why when they redesigned those
connectors
for wide SCSI they made the pins more flattish, it lets you increase pressure
on the pin.  But the smaller form factor makes it even easier to bend pins if
the connector isn't inserted exactly straight and almost impossible to bend
them
back without snapping them off.  Also the crimps in the backs are even worse
sources of trouble.  Pulling cables out of the back of the drives by pulling
on
the cable and not the connector is a big contributor, unfortunately with the
original SCSI and IDE connectors there wasn't anything on the connector to
grab, so you had to pull it by the cable.

I have SCSI cables in my junk pile that look _perfect_ but will give data
errors when plugged in, and I've fixed many by cutting off the connector
and recrimping a new one on, of course you can't do this when the connector is
in the _middle_ of the cable.