Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:00:55 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Migrating vinum plexes to a new volume

Howdy,

I want to migrate some existing plexes to a different volume than the one that
they are currently a member of. Here's the existing configuration:

V iso           State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       4096 MB
V iso2          State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       1500 MB

P iso.p0      C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       4096 MB
P iso.p1      C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       4096 MB
P iso2.p0     C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1500 MB
P iso2.p1     C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1500 MB

S iso.p0.s0     State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4096 MB
S iso.p1.s0     State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4096 MB
S iso2.p0.s0    State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
S iso2.p1.s0    State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB

D yin           State: up       Device /dev/ad0s1e      Avail: 0/38172 MB (0%)
D yang          State: up       Device /dev/ad2s1e      Avail: 0/38172 MB (0%)

I don't want to have seperate iso and iso2 volumes anymore, I'd like to merge
their plexes into a single volume called iso.

Here's my plan to go about doing this:

* enter vinum interface
* detach -f iso2.p0
* detach -f iso2.p1
* rm -f iso
* attach iso2.p0 iso
* attach iso2.p1 iso
* use growfs on the changed volume

Do I have the logic correct? Are there any potential pitfalls involving
dataloss?

I suspect that I'm missing a step to alert vinum that the new plexes extend the
mirror - and I'm not sure that it can be done without destroying both the iso
and the iso2 volume and recreating the mirror from scratch (thus, dataloss).

Thanks,

-T

--
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
	Robert Heinlein