Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:57:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      mickey@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS-related process hangs in -current

Hi!
---

In article <freebsd-current.19970630102116.22811@phy.uni-bayreuth.de>,
	Charlie & <root@phy.uni-bayreuth.de> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 1997 at 11:22:39AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
>> I updated my -current box on Friday night, and since then I've been
>> seeing some process hangs that seem to be related to NFS.  This is
>> with -current CVSupped around 20:50 PDT on June 27 (full make world
>> plus kernel build).
>>
>> The problem shows up when I try to build the modula-3-lib port on a
>> filesystem that is NFS-mounted from another system.  The NFS server
>> is running 2.2-stable.  At some point in the build, the "quake"
>> program (M3's answer to "make", *sigh*) hangs in disk wait state.
>> It is unkillable after that -- the only way to get rid of it is by
>> rebooting.  Other processes continue to work OK.
>>
>> Interestingly, I tried it twice and it hung at the same point both
>> times.  Each test takes a long time, so I only have those two data
>> points so far.
>>
>> I built the same port on a local filesystem without any problems.
>>
>> Does this ring a bell for anybody?  I haven't tried building this
>> port via NFS for quite a while, so the problem is not necessarily
>> very new.
>>

> Have the same problem between FreeBSD-2.2-Stable and DEC-Alpha under
> Digital Unix.
> Mounting the NFS-Directory with option nfsv2 "solved" the problem for me.
> It seems to be a problem of nfsv3 .

I am having the same problems for quite a while with an NFS mounted
/usr/port tree on my FreeBSD SMP machine (dated 09. Feb 97). Everytime
I try to compile things off /usr/ports that require some work to be
done, the NFS client side hangs. When this has happened, commands like
'df' etc also lock up completely so that they cannot be terminated.
Only solution is rebooting the client machine completely. The same
thing also happened quite some times while trying to mv files from
a local disk to an NFS mounted volume. The NFS server machine (FreeBSD
of same date as above SMP system but UP machine) does not seem to suffer
from that hangs in any way.

Regards, Mickey

--
          (__)