Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:42:16 -0700
From:      Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com>
To:        "Kruppa, Peter Ulrich" <pukruppa@googlemail.com>
Cc:        perrin@apotheon.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD logo

On Jul 27, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Kruppa, Peter Ulrich wrote:

> Am 27.07.2010 17:23, schrieb Andy Balholm:
>> Chad Perrin wrote:
>>  =20
>>> Andy Balholm wrote:
>>>    =20
>>> Really?  Are you sure they weren't derived from something else -- =
perhaps
>>> a source in common for the "traditional" depictions of the devil?  =
There
>>> may be a common source for both, rather than one being the source of =
the
>>> other.  Correlation does not imply causation.  Did you ask the =
original
>>> Beastie artist for confirmation that he was consciously emulating =
images
>>> of the Christian devil, or did you just jump to a conclusion like =
the OP?
>>>    =20
>> I jumped to a conclusion, but I'll stand by it until someone shows me =
the ancient common source. I don't recall anything that looks much like =
Beastie in Greek art.
>>  =20
> Perhaps there are some ancient depictions/sculptures of the greek god =
Pan (god of the shepherds) around? Pan partially resembles a goat.

The BSD daemon doesn't look like a goat (or Pan) at all. Maybe he has =
cloven hooves inside those tennis shoes; I don't know. But Pan could =
certainly have had some influence on how the Devil was traditionally =
drawn.

My point wasn't that there is no earlier source that traditional =
depictions of the Devil draw on. They aren't based on anything in the =
Bible, so it seems quite likely that there is. I was just saying that =
the BSD daemon is not derived from that ancient source _independently_; =
its immediate source is almost certainly the traditional depictions of =
demons.

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
andy@balholm.com