Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2018 06:55:46 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is Radeon RX Vega 64 supported by drm-next?

On 17/06/2018 17:29, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> Hello All
>
> According to various sources (including posts to freebsd-x11)
> drm-stable-kmod supports Polaris (RX 4xx/5xx). Does it mean that
> drm-next-kmod supports RX Vega?
>
> According to Wikipedia Radeon RX 580 is GCN 4th gen:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_500_series
>
> Which is the last generation before Vega, which in Wikipedia is marked
> as GCN 5th gen:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units
>
> So there is no other GPU left between them. There is also nothing else
> beyond Vega, which suggests that the only difference between
> drm-stable and drm-next is the additional support for the latest GPU -
> Vega. Or I am missing something?

Answering my own question, looks like preliminary Radeon RX Vega support
landed in Linux 4.12 with full support in 4.14/15. So it seems there is
no additional Radeon GPU supported in drm-next-kmod (Linux 4.11) that
isn't already supported in drm-stable-kmod (Linux 4.9). The differences
seem to be down to improvements in VM drivers and power management.
Please let me know if you have other information.

Another question, is it possible to estimate work/time before
Wayland/drm-kmod on FreeBSD supports Linux 4.12/14/15 or NVidia cards?

GrzegorzJ