Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:45:35 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QPopper exploit

At 10:19 PM 7/28/98 -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>> I could only guess how often more 'popular' targets get attacked.  We
>> are only a 6000 user ISP.  Imagine how much AOL and Microsoft must
>> see.
>
>Not very much, inside the firewall.

I would imagine this is the case (i.e. not many sucessful attempts), but I
was lamenting the fact that there are so many constant attempts... On our
router we block all spoofing attempts, hence I have a daily log of all this
and other unwanted activity.  Even such lamo things as people trying to
telnet in and login as root on our various boxes trying to guess at the
root password!!

A few postings ago on bugtraq I recall reading about some poor sole who
went away on vaccation when the exploit started making its rounds.  He came
back only to find his entire network compromised.  If the bug surfaced a
week later, this would have happened to me :-(  I mean, within hours of the
canned script being released through a few channels, I was seeing evidence
of attempted exploits in my popper logs from all over the globe.

>One quick, fast, reliable way to protect yourself is to put your
>router/firewall to the outside world onto a switch port on a
>smart switch; the router/firewall won't see *most* of the internal,
>unicast traffic, and therefore cannot be used to snoop any of that.

Or, on the inexpensive, private physical ethernet segments behind FreeBSD
boxes will do the trick as well.  Those smart switches are still fairly
pricy compared to surplus 486s, a few ne2000s running FreeBSD, ipfw / natd.
 Our most critical stuff is 2 physical segments away from our users, and 3
segments from the outside world.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa, 					tel 01.519.651.3400
Network Administrator,                   noc@sentex.net