Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:11:27 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disposition of unknown PCI ethernet solved

On Jan 8, 19:30, Michael Smith wrote:
} James FitzGibbon stands accused of saying:
}
} > 2. The visual kernel configuration program caused be half the problems
} > with this card because it limits iobase entries for the ed0? device to no
} > more than 0x2000.  Using the command-line config program, it can be set
} > higher.
}
} The visual config editor was not designed with PCI devices in mind, as
} they were supposed to be automatically probed.  0x2000 is (AFAIK) the
} highest legitimate address to which one would want to set an ISA or
} ISA-like device to.
}
} If the PCI code (Stefan?) can't bend the ed driver around to talk to this
} card, then obviously visuserconfig() should be updated 8)

There are now PCI versions of the Lance and the NE 2000,
and they can easily be probed by the PCI code, provided
the driver can be initialized to use arbitrary ports.

A similar approach like for the BT946C can be taken.

I just did not have the time to add stubs for them, and
to check whether the drivers are already flexible enough.
(If nobody else beats me on this, I promise to do it before
the end of the month ...)

BTW: The I/O address is assigned by the PCI BIOS, and
it does not suffice to set it to the port it happened to
be at in some particular system. Moving it to another
slot may change the I/O address, for example ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160