Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:25:15 -0600
From:      "Mike Porter" <mike.porter@xrxgsn.com>
To:        "Mike Hoskins" <mike@adept.org>, "Steve Lumos" <slumos@nevada.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>
To: Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Monday, July 23, 2001 12:24 PM

>Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>:
>>On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Steve Lumos wrote:
>>Actually, the user you describe as just 'ending up' places vs. actually
>>RTFMing and making informed decissions sounds like a newbie.  With that in
>>mind, I'd suggest reading:
>>
>>  http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
>>
>>Specifically,
>>
>>  "If you haven't installed yet, look for the *latest mainstream
>>  release*."
>
>This is a perfect example of how the documentation is going wrong.  If
>you have installed FreeBSD, then that ain't you.  That's one reason
>why I suggested changing "if you are new to FreeBSD, you are most
>likely going to want to think twice about running [-CURRENT]."  There
>are a lot more people who ought to think twice about running -CURRENT
>then just those who are "new to FreeBSD".

And as a general rule, unless you are new to freeBSD, you are going to know
what you are getting into trying to run -CURRENT.  And if you continue
reading into section 20.2.1.1, you will find "but whether or not
FreeBSD-CURRENT sources bring disaster or greatly desired functionality can
literally be a matter of which part of any given 24 hour period you grabbed
them in!"  In 20.2.1.3 you read that freeBSD-CURRENT is /not/(emphasis in
original)"In any way ``officially supported'' by us".  Translation:  newbies
to freeBSD need not even delve into the subsections below about current.
Those not new to freeBSD should read on, and then decide if it is "right"
for you.  The idea isn't necessarily to turn people off of running -CURRENT,
but to let them know that the going may be rocky.  In fact, if more people
ran -CURRENT, it would have the effect of increasing the testing
matrix....assuming that people who have problems actually report them, of
course, but that's a whole other can of worms.  If I had the time to devote
to it, I would happily run -CURRENT, but there IS a significant time
investment.

>>>   "Changes to this branch have not been widely tested and should not
>>>   be depended on to work."
>>
>>Hmm.  Speak for yourself, and your apparent lack of clue.  Personally, I
>>have many working -STABLE boxes.
>
>Well, I might not be the most clueful person in the world, but I can
>usually manage to avoid having ad hominem and hasty generalization
>fallacies in consecutive sentences.  Do you dislike that sentence
>because you claim that -STABLE has been widely tested, or that it
>should be depended on to work, or both?

I personally have had zero problems with -STABLE.  As previously mentioned
on this thread, becuase of the size of the testing matrix, there really is
no humanly possible way to test every possible configuration:  Not only do
manufacturer's sometimes change the design of products without telling
anyone (Intel's eepro100 is a good example of that--and worse, the changes
actually broke stuff, so fxp code that worked with one version, suddenly
DIDN'T work witht he new version--a new version that if I understand
correctly had the SAME MARKINGS on the chip.  How is a volunteer devolper
supposed to know that?), and not only would you then again have to multiply
this by the number of motherboard models out there in the x86 world (and
don't forget all the old 386 and 486 boards!) but a lot of boards,
especially older boards (some of the early PCI boards, notably, especially
the 486-based ones...)have bugs related to specific slots...so not only do
you have to test every known motherboard with every known version of the
eepro100, but you also have to test it *in every slot* to be assured that
there will be no problems.  And don't forget all the customized BIOS
tweaks...

-Stable has been tested to the best of the abilities of those doing the
testing.  If you have a problem with that, then as has been suggested, why
don't you volunteer to help?  FreeBSD is, after all, a volunteer effort, and
the way it gets improved is by people noticing a problem, and offering to
help with the solution.  Simply pointing out the problem isn't going to do
you or anyone else any good.  What is needed is SOLUTIONS.  Your proposed
modfications to the handbook really aren't what most people have
experienced.  And again, if you look online at the current version of the
handbook:in 20.2.2.1:"Any changes to this branch will have debuted in
FreeBSD-CURRENT first, helping to reduce (but not eliminate) the chance that
the changes will cause problems."  There is nothing untrue about that
statement.  The people testing in -CURRENT have tested it, and resolved any
problems.  That YOUR SPECIFIC HARDWARE may not have been tested is certainly
not their fault.  If you are that concerened that your specific
configuration gets tested, why don't you build an exact clone of your
machine and send it to one of the testers, so they can test your machine.
Dont forget to put everything in the same slot, use the same BIOS version,
and include any dual-boot, etc, configuration.  Even then, becuase there are
differences between -CURRENT and -STABLE, there is a chance that something
may break, of course, as sometimes the breakage is in the interactions
between stuff....
COntinuing in the handbook, we come to section 20.2.2.2:"If you are
interested in tracking the FreeBSD development process, and you want early
access to the features that will appear in the next ``point'' release of
FreeBSD then you should consider following FreeBSD-STABLE."  "development
process"..."/consider/ tracking" (emphasis mine).  Later on in
20.2.2.2:"However, you do not need to track FreeBSD-STABLE to do this, as
every security advisory for FreeBSD explains how to fix the problem for the
releases it affects." "You DO NOT need..."  seems pretty clear to me!  Still
in 20.2.2.2:"Although we endeavor to ensure that the FreeBSD-STABLE branch
compiles and runs at all times, this cannot be guaranteed. In addition,
while code is developed in FreeBSD-CURRENT before including it in
FreeBSD-STABLE, more people run FreeBSD-STABLE than FreeBSD-CURRENT, so it
is inevitable that bugs and corner cases will sometimes be found in
FreeBSD-STABLE that were not apparent in FreeBSD-CURRENT."  So far, nothing
we haven't heard before.  Perhaps a clarification of the first paragraph of
20.2.2.  And again: "For these reasons, we do not recommend that you blindly
track FreeBSD-STABLE, and it is particularly important that you do not
update any production servers to FreeBSD-STABLE without first thoroughly
testing the code in your development environment."  Sounds like stuff a lot
of people have said in this thread and other, previous threads along this
line.  Or was it just my imaginiation? <(};  And finally, the last paragraph
of 20.2.2.2: "If you do not have the resources to do this then we recommend
that you run the most recent release of FreeBSD, and use the binary update
mechanism to move from release to release."  Any questions?  I would point
out that ALL of that comes before any discussion of HOW to get -STABLE, and
clearly you managed to read THAT section well enough.  Is it really too much
to ask that people RTFM?? (no offense intended towards the people who wrote
THIS manual <(}; )

The only thing that I would suggest adding (for anyone who has made it this
far), is to copy the line from 20.2.1 about subscribing to the -current
mailing list not just being a good idea, but being essential, and lay it
into the section about subscribing to -stable.  I would agree that it is
somewhat *less* essential than with current, but it is still pretty darn
important.  I seem to recall that the older version of the handbook said
something along those lines, and also along the lines of waiting a week or
so after subscribing to -stable before actually pulling and compiling
sources.  But that may have been in Greg's book, which I also have and refer
to frequently (thanks, Greg!).

well, 'nuff said on this topic, I think I've exhausted my month's -stable
allotment... <(}:

mike