Skip site navigation (1)Skip section navigation (2)
Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:15:53 +0200
From:      Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@esiee.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )
Message-ID:  <4E252119.3030208@esiee.fr>
In-Reply-To: <201107190549.p6J5n6sP028960@mail.r-bonomi.com>
References:  <201107190549.p6J5n6sP028960@mail.r-bonomi.com>

Next in thread | Previous in thread | Raw E-Mail | Index | Archive | Help
Wow wow !!! I did not want to start a flame war with my post ...

Things for me are clear :

In France it's illegal and I have my boss's instruction :

- find and delete the files that's all.




On 07/19/2011 07:49 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>  From editor@d3photography.com  Tue Jul 19 00:05:30 2011
>> Subject: Re: Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )
>> From: Ryan Coleman<editor@d3photography.com>
>> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:05:27 -0500
>> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> To: Robert Bonomi<bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
>>
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2011, at 10:23 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>
>>>> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:01:53 -0700 From: perryh@pluto.rain.com
>>>> Subject: Re: Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )
>>>>
>>>> Robert Bonomi<bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>  wrote:
>>>>
>>>> <snip specific suggestions re awk(1), file(1), find(1), grep(1), etc=
.>
>>>>
>>>> All well and good for locating files of a certain format and/or with
>>>> particular content, but it doesn't address the question of whether a
>>>> specific copy is "legal", i.e. did the user who put it there have th=
e
>>>> legal right to put it there?
>>> {{ Noting that the troll contributed nothing constructive to the OP's
>>>    problem, _or_ to dealing with the pseudo-issue he raises. }}
>>>
>>> Obviously the ankle-biter was incapable of reading the ACTUAL REQUEST
>>> the OP made:
>>>
>>>   "Anyone knows an utility that I could pipe to the "find" command
>>>    in order to detect video, music, games ... etc  files ?
>>>
>>>    I need a tool that could "inspect" inside files because many users
>>>    rename those filename to "inoffensive" ones :-)"
>>>
>>> NOTE WELL that the OP was _smart_enough_ -- unlike the prior poster -=
-
>>> to ask about something that _can_ be done mechanically.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, it was _explicit_ in the actual suggestion that it only
>>> produced a list possible 'suspects' -- It did _not_ provide any
>>> indication of status -- 'legal', or otherwise.
>> Go to hell.
> I recommend you take your own advice -- then you might have an opportun=
ity
> to learn "what the hell" you're talking about.
>
>>              He wants to rename the files that are illegal to ones tha=
t
>> aren't.
> Have you got *anything* to support that =3Dlibelous=3D accusation?
>
> While you're at it, I dare you to attempt to explain how 'renaming' a
> file can _possibly_ make it 'legal' if it were not so before the renami=
ng..
>
> Next, _if_ he was doing that, can you explain _why_ he needed to look '=
inside'
> the file for content type?
>
> He is specifically attempting to find content that has *ALREADY* been
> 'concealed' in 'innocuous' file names.
>
>>         That's circumventing copyright law and would land him or her i=
n
>> jail.
> THAT statement is 'libel per se', and, as such, actionable defamation.
>
>>        This topic, based solely on ethics, should not be discussed as =
any
>> suggestions that this is LEGAL to do supports copyright violations.
> STRAWMAN ALERT!!
>
> BOGON ALERT!!
>
> "This topic" -- meaning *YOUR* "false to fact" assumption about the OP
> 'renaming' copyright-infringing files to avoid detection -- exists *ONL=
Y*
> in your depraved imagination.
>
> Since there is =3Dnothing=3D in this discussion, up to this point, that=
 touchs
> on the point _at_all_, It is *pure*fiction* to postulate that there hav=
e
> been any suggestions that 'this is legal'.
>
> In point of actual FACT, the OP, a _system_administrator_, is attemptin=
g
> to ferret out possible COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS -- of the type you so vehem=
ently
> oppose -- BY HIS USERS.
>
> Yet, for some reason, you are opposed to those who are offering said ad=
min
> assistince in FINDING THE VIOLATIONS.
>
>
>> I would record those names and DELETE them but only if the TOS support=
s
>> it.
> You *do* realize that doing _that_ would make *you* potentially liable =
for
> CRIMINAL PROSECUTION for 'intentionally destroying evidence' of a crime=
,
> don't you?
>
>>      If it does not, then you get the DCMA notice
> You *REALLY*are an ignoramus, aren't you?
>
> Did you notice _where_ the OP was posting from?
>
> Do you have any idea of the geographic limits of the DMCA?
>
> Did you notice that the OP, a system administrator, has _already_ recei=
ved
> a legal notice about 'infringing' files on his system?
>
>>                                                   and handle it
>> accordingly from the copyright holder.
>>
> _______________________________________________
> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd=
.org"


--=20

Frank BONNET

01.45.92.66.17

Service des Moyens Informatiques Generaux

ESIEE PARIS
Cit=E9 Descartes / BP 99
93162 NOISY-LE-GRAND Cedex
http://www.esiee.fr <http://www.esiee.fr/>;




Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?4E252119.3030208>