Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:39:26 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftpN.i2.FreeBSD.org, anyone?

Hi,

Garrett Wollman wrote on Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 06:16:28PM -0400:
> Watching the clients of ftp5 pulling the 4.4 ISOs down has reminded me
> again of an idea that I had.  The idea is this: Parallel to the
> ${cc}.FreeBSD.org domains, let's establish an i2.FreeBSD.org domain,
> indicating mirror sites connected via Internet2 and associated
> networks (STARTAP, CA*NET3, SuperJANET4, etc.).  Mirrors which are
> already in one of the other domains would have the option of
> dual-listing, or moving solely to the i2 domain.  (We would probably
> move, but maintain an open-access policy; there look to me to be
> enough commodity-network mirrors right now.)
[..]

Hmm, it sounds nice, but I won't see the real benefit, yet.
I would not mind beeing listed in i2.freebsd.org _and_
de.freebsd.org. Maybe something like ${cc}.i2.freebsd.org
would give an additional hint, where to connect, but this
seems to become too pedantic ? ;-)

So if people think it is a good idea, feel free to add
ftp.leo.org / cvsup.leo.org to the i2 subdomain.

Best regards,
 Daniel Lang
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                                    - Eddie would go! -
 Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/