Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:32:23 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis@ntlworld.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stdin/console text input handling

On Thursday 20 June 2002 07:58am, Antony T Curtis wrote:
> I have a curses-inspired library which I can write console programs with.
>
> It is incomplete... But it could be just what you need.
>
> It's written in 100% java...
>
> I also have an earlier sample which has JNI to a native curses library.

Thank you (both you and Ernst de Haan).   I did see the Java Curses Library on
Sourceforge after Ernst replied -- checked it out briefly ... it is a series
of classes interfacing with a C library (libjcurses) which gets built at
compile time along with the docs and JAR, and depends on libcurses like you
mentioned.  The javadocs and method names are a little tough for me to
follow, but that said, I'm only alive because of copious amts of coffee at
the moment.

It seems reasonably complete, but I still don't know most of what I'm looking
at.  The developer (Alexei Chmelev) seems very cool, but English clearly is
not his native tongue.   It compiles fine on FreeBSD; but I haven't tested it
yet.

[ http://sourceforge.net/projects/javacurses/ ]

I would _definitely_ prefer a 100% Java solution, though.  Absolutely.
Consider me interested.   Having that jcurses c library defeats the
'write-once and read-anywhere' goal...

But anything is better than java.io.Reader.  :)

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]