Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:28:17 -0500
From:      "Lyndon Griffin" <lgriffin@naviant.com>
To:        "freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Read this...

> One thing in particular occurred to me in this context: why does Sun
> want Linux or *BSD?   On the whole, Solaris <whatever number it is
> this week> is a pretty good operating system, and neither Linux nor
> *BSD can equal it.  What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my
> UltraSparc?  Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
> doing and running it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?

I'd like to take a crack at answering this, and feel free to blast me if
it's inappropriate...

What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my UltraSparc?
1)  Price/total cost of ownership
2)  open/free source - for the OS and many/most applications (no mysteries)
3)  people like me that get a Sparc for free, excepting that it's ten years
old and you can't get a current version of Solaris to run on it (I'll bet
that Sun will not write current code for the 64bit machines when the 1mb
SuperUltraGalacticSPARCs come out)
4)  last I checked, the development cycle on *BSD or Linux is much much
faster than on ANY commercial OS.

Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already doing and running
it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?
I'm a little biased in answering this - I only own 32 bit Sparcs, and I
prefer FreeBSD to any other U**X type OS.

<:)  Lyndon