Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:45:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brant Katkansky" <bmk@pobox.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, peter@taronga.com, bmk@fta.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, brantk@atlas.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> > Not in this particular set of examples, no, but understand that
> > services have many more options *other* than security which you'd also
> > eventually want to fold into the same mechanism.  To contrive more examples:
> >
> > 	mail_control -fast_queue_depth 10
> > 	mail_control -bounce_warnings no
> > 	mail_control -add-virtual "fred sfred@scurvy.com"
> >
> > 	lp_control -polled-mode
> > 	lp_control -set-type HP500C
> >
> > All of which might be reasonable things to want if you were intending
> > to write a more robust front-end for a variety of service options.
> >
> > Think "big picture", guys. :-)
>
> That's a nice big picture, I agree, but I am not talking about
> configuration of packages.  That might very WELL be addressed through
> a mechanism like what you are describing!
>
> I am more interested in the MANAGEMENT of packages, i.e., is a particular
> package available and/or enabled?  That is a higher level ("bigger
> picture" ;-) ) question than configuration particulars.
>
> CONFIGURATION of packages is a problem as well.  I am not sure that it
> is wise to try to solve both problems with the same tool, but am certainly
> willing to discuss it if you believe that it is (I will tell you now: I have
> a preconceived notion that it is not a good idea).

I'm of the same mind as Joe on this, but I don't see it as a problem
to wedge it in elegantly in the future:

pkg_control -config subsystem [opts]

where opts are arguments that are passed to subsystem's config script/program.

-- Brant Katkansky (bmk@pobox.com, brantk@atlas.com)
   Software Engineer, ADC