Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:42:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DEVFS (was Re: More problems with new slice code )

> > The nodes are completely dynamic; when a device is found (eg. at boot
> > time, or when a PCCARD is inserted, or when a PCI LKM is loaded, or
> > whenever) they appear, and when a device goes away (card removed, etc.)
> > they disappear.
>
> Mike,
>
> Will it still be possible to create/use device nodes with mknod, etc,
> elsewhere in the file system?

No.  The whole 'major/minor' number concept will ultimately be phased
out, and device identifiers will be dynamically assigned.  This
basically makes static device nodes unuseful.

Having said that, it will indeed be possible to have device nodes
appear in more than one place, and have different permissions etc. in
those separate places, which is I think what you are getting at
(chrooted environments, etc.)

If you're interested in getting a taste of this (and providing valuable
feedback early in the picture), there are patches for -current which
impement large portions of this already.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/~julian for more.