Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:07:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        brantk@atlas.com
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, peter@taronga.com, bmk@fta.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> > CONFIGURATION of packages is a problem as well.  I am not sure that it
> > is wise to try to solve both problems with the same tool, but am certainly
> > willing to discuss it if you believe that it is (I will tell you now: I have
> > a preconceived notion that it is not a good idea).
> >

> I'm of the same mind as Joe on this, but I don't see it as a problem
> to wedge it in elegantly in the future:
>
> pkg_control -config subsystem [opts]
>
> where opts are arguments that are passed to subsystem's config script/program.

Hi Brant,

I was _thinking_ about that very possibility but did not want to confuse
the issue for the time being.  :-)

As I wrote to Jordan, I do believe that the true "bigger picture" is the
MANAGEMENT issue, being able to intelligently deal with a particular
program through an interface that is preferably common to both FreeBSD-ports
and FreeBSD-base-stuff.

However, if that were already a given, I was thinking along the same lines
that I think Brant was, and I would extend it as follows:

Since we already have a pkg_control management function that is extensible
(at least the shell script pseudocode I posted would be), why not add a
"-config" capability?

It would be great to write a "mail_control" interface on top of that.

Let's see how it works, at least in my head...

"mail_control -bounce_warnings no"

mail_control finds out what MTA is active (another potential problem to
solve, probably not too hard).  Then it dispatches the request to the
pkg_control mechanism:

pkg_control -config sendmail bounce_warnings=no
--> "Ok"

pkg_control -config nmail bounce_warnings=no
--> "Nmail does not support the setting of bounce_warnings"

(Nmail being a hypothetical MTA).

Maybe mail_control even keeps around a list of the specified preferences,
so that when you do a

"mail_control -bounce_warnings no"

and then later a

"mail_control -switchto nmail"

under the sheets it does a

"pkg_control -disable sendmail"
"pkg_control -enable nmail"
"pkg_control -config nmail bounce_warnings=no"

to transparently initialize the new mailer with the same settings that
the old mailer had.

THAT may allow a truly portable and generalized "mail_control" mechanism
to be written without extensive knowledge of the underlying details!

Yes!  Go Team!  :-)  :-)

... JG