Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:49:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.7 and Sendmail

Just installed a new 4.7 machine and find some of the behaviours different
compared to other versions.

Main one seems to be sendmail. I setup the usual resolv.conf

search mydomain.net
nameserver ip.add.res.s

the machine is registerd in DNS with an A record (machine will move to
another IP at some point so didnt setup a PTR)

In aliases setup to send roots' mail to me. Not getting anything, but it
is queued and sendmail deferrs it cause it cant reach:

localhost.mydomain.net

Firing up sendmail -bd and doing a:

mail root

mail goes fine and I processed the mail queue manually all the messages
there got sent.

All the FBSD machines I have run in the past dont need sendmail
running as a process so have disabled it on start up and mail has worked
just fine just by setting DNS, resolv.conf and adding an alias to forward
roots mail to me at another address.

Searching the Handbook/FAQ did not find much, but the archives I found a
post stating that:

sendmail_enable=NO
sendmail_submit_enable=YES
sendmail_msp_queue_enable=YES

will work but then I have to run a sendmail process. I found another post
that since 4.6 you have to run sendmail so as to accept mail from
localhost.

Is this right? I'd rather not have to run the sendmail process on a
machine if I dont have to since I dont run sendmail as a process on the 3
other FBSD machines we have around.

We lost touch with sendmail when we retired out last machine running
sendmail about a year and a half ago.

Thanks for any clarification on this.
Keith