Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 19:00:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High-resolution displays

On Fri, Sep 05, 1997 at 10:16:50AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <199709041536.IAA00947@austin.polstra.com>, John Polstra writes:
>> I want to set up a laptop running FreeBSD to use when I'm working out
>> of town.
>
> Hi john!
>
> First decide if it's going to be your primary machine or not, this may
> sound weird, but you may soon find that you spend much more time with
> your portable that with your stationary machine (Think "bed, beach, garden,
> airport, plane, bus, train, office...").  If it's going to be your primary
> machine, you may want to choose slightly differently.

A very good point.  When I bought my machine last December, I intended
it to be a machine to use when I didn't have any other.  I still don't
use it at home, but I found that it is very convenient to have a
complete environment with me when I'm travelling, and I will now
invariably use it in other people's offices.  As a result, I find it's
underdimensioned for what I want to do.

> Display:
>
> You seem pretty determined about this one.  Be aware that on an LCD you
> can use far smaller fonts than on a CRT.  I run a 5x7 font most of the
> time with no problems.  (I cant wait until I can aford a LCD screen
> for my desk too :-)  Bigger screens means bigger powerdrain, and they
> are more fragile (although they're pretty damn robust these days.  Your
> hard disk will croak first I bet).

I agree with John, though.  The next machine will have at least a
1024x768 display.

> Floppy disk/CDROM drives:
>
> If weight/portability is important, consider getting a machine with
> external floppy and CDROM.  My floppy drive is at home all the time,
> I never use it.

Or interchangeable ones.  But I don't miss a CD-ROM in my machined.

> Keyboard:
>
> It is about the most important thing on the machine, if you can't live
> with it, forget it.  Try it out, even the same manufacturer makes many
> different keyboards.  The layout of the keys should be examined too.

A point to be made here: you can always remap keys.  Except for that
damn fool Fn key which is used to remap other keys.  On my machine,
it's in the bottom left hand corner, where I want to have Alt.  The
result is painful.

I don't know of any laptops into which you can't plug a real keyboard,
but that would be an absolute no-no for me.

>               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."

But of course.

Greg