Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:47:30 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Johan Karlsson <johan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding '-t tty' to biff(1)/mesg(1)

On (2002/07/23 22:52), Johan Karlsson wrote:

> Currently there is no way of changing the biff/mesg
> status of a tty where another program is running.
> (except if you know all the gory details about biff and mesg)

For mesg(1), you can use shell redirection to accomplish your goal,
as with tools like vidcontrol(1):

	mesg y < /dev/ttyp7

This doesn't work for biff(1).

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider adding new options, but suggesting
that maybe the correct path forward is simply to fix biff(1) so that it
operates like other tools designed to change the behaviour of a
terminal.

Ciao,
Sheldon.