Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:24:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de
To:        doc@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scrollkeeper (was Re: An opportunity for FreeBSD)

Well, this slashdot thread
(http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/00/09/18/2230256.shtml) brings me to
the question if it might be beneficial if scrollkeeper could also be
used to describe / catalogue the software, not only the documentation
about it.

Long quote still kept for context...

On 19 Sep, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Hi chaps,
>
> I've added -ports in to this discussion, but reply-to is set back to
> -doc.
>
> Long quote kept for context.
>
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:17:02PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
>> On 18-Sep-00 Mark Ovens wrote:
>> > I fired off an e-mail to a couple of contacts Nik gave me, one of
>> > the replies I got is included at the end of this mail. As you can
>> > see the project is only just getting started and as yet no code has
>> > been produced. Currently the webpage mentioned in the e-mail has
>> > been taken down as they discovered that the name "Dewey" (from the
>> > Dewey-decimel system used for cataloguing by libraries) was
>> > trade-marked. The project is looking for a new name.
>>
>> Now called "ScrollKeeper", it would appear.
>> http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net
>>
>> >From what you've said, and from what information is available on
>> >their web
>> site, this certainly sounds like a project worth getting involved in.
>>
>> > I have subscribed to the mailing list (which is rather quiet at the
>> > moment, but should liven up once code is available) and would like
>> > to be able to announce that FreeBSD is "officially" supporting the
>> > project (which means a committment to adopting Dewey for the
>> > ports/packages when it reaches production quality). I am willing to
>> > act as co-ordinator for this and will attempt to do most of the
>> > work.
>>
>> Great. I've also subscribed to their list, just so I can stay in the
>> loop and offer up any help where I feel I can.
>>
>> With regard to "officially" deciding to support the project, I guess
>> after sufficent discussion Nik and Satoshi could a rubber-stamp our
>> final decision.
>
> For the record, I'm fully in support of this, up to and including
> making sure that our documentation set is categorised using it.  For
> those of you reading this on the -ports list I think this is an effort
> we need to support -- at the very least by making it possible (note:
> *not* mandatory) for our ports to 'install' this metadata where
> appropriate.
>
> If any interested parties would like to meet up at BSDCon to discuss
> this then let me know.

                            virtual earth
 Mathias Picker
 Geschäftsführer      Gesellschaft für Wissens re/prä sentation mbH

                            Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de
			    Fon +49 89  / 540 7425-1
                            Fax +49 89  / 540 7425-9