Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:56:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lars Jonas Olsson" <jonas@mcs.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        jonas@mcs.net
Subject:   Leased lines, etc

 I'm trying to figure out what network access to use for internet
access for the company I work for (AccuMed Intl.). My current
idea is to get a 56kbps or 64kbps leased line.

 What is needed for being able to use this for speach and
video-conferencing? Does the ISP have to be on mbone?

 Has anyone had experience with the various ways of having a
relatively low-speed link (56/64 kbps) and using some router with
"bandwidth on demand". Some models (Ascend 130) have 56 kbps line with
4:1 compression and extra ISDN that be used to temporarily boost
speed, or having an extra 56/64 kbps switched circuit.

 Does anyone happen to recommend an ISP for downtown Chicago?  I've
found a small local ISP with a single T1 to internet. This doesn't
seem that good but instead they are quite professional (They mostly
have company customers, no personal) and can setup something custom
for us. Their charge ($250/month + $138/month for line) is also about
as low as you get here.

Jonas