Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 12:42:49 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OK, here it is! [was Re: Whoops! That was a mite premature..]

> It works now.  Don't break it.  I think the way to do it is to go back to
> 	${.CURDIR}/../cc_int/obj	# same as before
> 	${.CURDIR:S/foo/bar/:S/obj$//}/../cc_int	# new

I'm not sure that's any less gross than the special case handling we
have now.  Can we look at this in a second pass?  I've got the cases
for cc and friends all working just fine using the *existing* `make
world framework' and if we want to make it possible for things to
start moving around or be selectively "obj'd" then I think that's a
separate challenge.  The changes I made to cc do work, they just don't
allow you to do something which is poorly supported in the tree as it
is.

> >What's wrong with `cd ${.OBJDIR}'?
>
> To begin with, it's a syntax error.  Shell identifiers can't begin with
> a `.'.

Huh?  Make defines this and expands it before the shell ever gets to
it.

> Urk.  The semantics of ${.OBJDIR} must not change since foreign makefiles
> might depend on them.  It is more usefule than before since there are now
> 3 places where the object directory might be and the new place isn't
> obvious.

Well, I remain to be convinced that any foreign Makefiles depend on
this (I've never seen a single application example), but it's not
required to be different in more than 2 places so I'll just add a new
variable, .TARGETOBJDIR, which always points to the "desired" obj
direcory and .OBJDIR will either point there or at .CURDIR if there's
no .TARGETOBJDIR.

					Jordan