Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2018 14:49:19 -0400
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is unionfs usable on -CURRENT?

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 04:14:35PM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>>=20
>> "man mount_unionfs" is very scary. Is is still true? Maybe, here are
>> some other workarounds to have one directory with static data on R/O =
FS
>> and transient data on R/W FS?
>>=20
>> Unfortunately, "net-mgmt/unifi5" want to put all working data =
directly
>> to its installation directory, which resides on R/O FS of NanoBSD =
image.
>=20
> I believe the warnings are still at least partly true.  The usual
> suggestion is to use "mount -o union" instead of "mount -t unionfs".
> "mount -o union" doesn't have the unionfs issues

Just chiming in as a casual observer here, but that=E2=80=99s extremely =
confusing.
I think most people would assume =E2=80=9C-o fstype=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=9C-=
t fstype=E2=80=9D would basically
do the same thing.  Is there any reason to keep the broken version =
readily
accessible?

Thanks,

Charles