Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 13:41:48 -0500 (GMT-0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: support for Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet adapters?

> I heard that the president of Xircom hates free software by
> philosophycal reasons.  They protect device driver from
> reverse-engineering by encrypting the drivers, and I heard that they
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But how ? IMO the Unix driver is an object file that can't be encrypted
itself and probably can't contain the encrypted part decryptable
by xxinit().

> won't give us any hardware information without exclusive contracts.

Do they have a driver for SCO ? Decompiling of SCO drivers isn't very
difficult because SCO's optimizer is bad (and often isn't used at all)
and disassembler is included in the Development System.

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia