Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:21:41 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

Joel N. Weber II wrote:

>    That's just one of the reasons to use FreeBSD and not Linux. Some things
>    (like the kernel) are better with a Berkeley-like license, and some
>    things (some apps.) are better with GPL.
>
> Why would some things be better with the GPL and some with the BSD license?

why should I have restrictions on my libaries? Why should I be forced to
give you my sources? Take Emerging Technologies and MOSIX as live
examples.

>    In the free world, if you spend years developing your high quality tool,
>    and lots of persons will benefit from it, it's only fair that you
>    receive a part of that benefit. The existance of a GNU license only
>    forces a good quality in the final products: if you find a free utility
>    that does all you need you will not buy the commercial version.
>
> So why shouldn't kernels have the same protection?

FreeBSD has that protection, but it's more elegant. If a vendor gets a
very advantageous product, say an LKM, he will voluntarily provide some
kernel patches to keep his product compatible with all versions of
FreeBSD and therefore lower the cost of support. A commercial competidor
may also provide a free implementation to reduce his competitor's gain
margin. The GNU license is, in fact, very artificial and hasn't limited
the action Big-Bucks (TM).

> windows 95 is usable?  I found getting networking to work on it was
> much more difficult than getting networking working on Linux...

That's because you use UNIX and it's clones all days...surprise! most
people  actually use M$-Windows. A company considers win-95 is cheaper
than Linux because everyone already knows how to use win-95 and live
with it's problems.
(I'm speaking only Colombia here, perhaps in the USA everyone uses Linux
in their offices but I honestly doubt it)

> But you can't force a person to be free.
Not without marketing...and after the marketing they will not be free
anyway ;)

	Pedro.