Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:59:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      zoonie <zoonie@myhouse.com>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, scot@poptart.org, akl@wup.de, amr@wup.de, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RIP vs. OSPF

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

> Aehm. OSPF has in a stable network less overhead (network traffic and CPU
> wise) then RIP. OSPF only sends HELLOs, while Rip sends every 30 seconds
> the whole routing table. If you have a flapping interface, then OSPF can
> produce much traffic, because of the flooding. But depending how you design
> your network, this is catched at Area borders.

you are correct ulf and i realized that i wasn't that clear on what i
meant by overhead after i sent the message, it was getting late for me and
i was really tired.  i thought that somebody would ding me on that.  i
guess that it comes down to preference.  if you don't have a large network
should you really bother to create areas or have one area and run the risk
of the flooding and computing the SPF algorithm everytime something
changes or if an interface flaps.  obviously if the network is stable this
won't happen all the time and you do want stability.  my preference would
be for a link state routing protocol also but for some networks i just
don't see the point.  if you don't have a lot of traffic going through and
the network is not very large and you don't have redundant paths what
difference do a few packets every 30 seconds and some extra CPU cycles
make?  to me it's not a big deal, to others it may be.  for the myhouse
network i wanted to use VLSM to make better use of our current address
space.  i had the same choices.  since the network isn't very large, i can
live with the 30 second updates and i didn't see any good reason to run
OSPF over RIPv2. so i chose RIPv2 and it still gets the job done which is
the important thing to me.