Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:27:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 & things

>Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 08:06:57 +1000
>From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>

>> Maybe it is because I have no Unix background that I am finding it
>> hard going.

>Yep, that's a problem for all of us. We're trying to learn about a
>particular unix operating system without knowing unix first.

Ahem....

Please note that I'm *only* speaking (writing) for myself....  But there
are some of us who are not at all "new" to UNIX (even UNIX of the BSD
persuasion), but who are new to FreeBSD.

In my case, for example, the primary challenge is figuring out how to
deal with hardware that is either PC-specific (IDE drives, anyone?) or
significantly more common on PC-type machines than (say) SPARCstations
or UltraSPARCs.  Dealing with the ways in which FreeBSD is idiosyncratic
with respect to other UNIX variants (even BSD-ish ones) is comparatively
minor.

And for me, "explaining" a UNIX concept by referring to a Microsoft one
is quite the wrong way 'round.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621