Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:27:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        paul@netcraft.co.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jehamby@lightside.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Prognosis of 2.2-960107-SNAP

> > Isn't there some mathematical puzzle that says something like, you
> > only need 27 people in a room for one of them to have a birthday the
> > same day as yours? Given the numbers we have, we've probably got
> > every day covered.
>
> It's not a puzzle, it's probability, and yes it is true, around
> 25 the probability goes above 50%.

But it's not a guarantee.

I think the formalism is "two of the people in the room will have the
same birthday" -- ie: your particular birthday isn't special.

I loved putting this to a test once (I happened to know the majority of
the people in the room) when someone didn't understand the difference
between ontology and epistimology and stated as a "fact" that there
would be two people with the same birthday.  There weren't.  It wasn't
an impossibility for this to be the case, merely an improbability.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.