Date:      Wed, 5 May 2010 17:44:14 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Subject:   Re: 2 qstns re pc-bsd...

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 11:52:48PM +0100, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >i ask here?  [i'm trying to add my beloved zsh [[heart-throbs]],
> >and ff3, and others. i thought i had installed the ports stuff.
> >nope.
>
> When I looked at PCBSD some while ago it had 3 ways of doing ports. #1
> is standard (make install) FreeBSD ports, #2 is also standard FreeBSD
> ports but installed to a different location, #3 is PBI which is
> statically compiled (or at least is completely self contained in some
> way) and is a very quick binary install. zsh is available here
> http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/96. The PBI system is a bit of a flagship
> aspect of PCBSD so probably works pretty well.

	hmm.  i clicked on the package icon thing and after clicking
	around, the thing went nuts.  maybe it was trying to upgrade
	everything from 07jan.

	i got tothe Shells table; but then found nowhere to click.
	--this was about 70 minutes ago.  i will happily learn about
	pbi --ok, not happily, but willingly-- if it lets me dload
	the binary.  [[i can Always get the src, right?]  but there
	was nowhere that i saw to click that displayed the
	pbidir.com/bt/ URL.  How does one get there?  I must have
	done something ungodly silly during the install; i thought i
	clicked on the ports choice.  not ye olden fashioned #1, but
	the #2 you mention above.  hangon; it's about a yard away.

	...not clear.  i think it is "updating".  i opened the browser
	and do have a link to the net.  one thing that is confusing
	is the mouse clicks.  left, then right+ "Open." ...

> Method 2, which is the default when you build your own, is designed to
> keep 'your' ports separate from 'system' ports. Because PCBSD is a
> desktop system some ports eg kde are ready installed and are upgraded as
> part of a PCBSD system upgrade. 'Your' ports are installed in a separate
> place to allow PCBSD upgrades to occur without interfering with yours.

	it would help [maybe only me] to have a 'Console' frame to
	see what is really going on.  all that is shown is a
	horizontal strip with blue barber pole stripes and the
	percentages ...  Of What, dunno!

> That's written from memory of a year ago - please check for yourself in
> case things have changed.

	i'll do that!  looks like this 'pbi' stuff is a solution for
	the dependency messes here.  i wonder how much thought has
	been given to using that solution here.  Anybody care to jump
	in?

> I think you mentioned in a previous post that you wanted PCBSD for some
> server stuff. I'm just curious because PCBSD is clearly aimed at desktop
> use, whereas one might think FreeBSD is a more appropriate choice for
> the server stuff. Not that either couldn't do either job...

	well, the deal was [and still is] that i had to move over to
	my other computr or KVM to the other [ubuntu] to play
	streams.  audio/video.  for my money, i prefer to listen to
	radio streams about 5 to 1, but the standalone BBC || NPR
	radio deals wouldn't play on freebsd.  And none of the
	video streams played here.  it was partly mucking with that
	proprietary Sun stuff, and maybe the flashit too.
	nutshell, only on linux did everything work.

	after about 15 years of FreeBSD, i know it fairly well.  so
	pc-bsd would be pref to ubuntu.  here, at least, i know where
	things live :-)    now i may be wrong, but i think openjdk7
	got things starting to work.

	a pal, an older student at the UW is going to help me set up
	a fail safe, roll-over {fall-back/failsafe} configuration
	that will have my Server stuff AND ~kline.

	when my network was crumbling in jan '08, a guy from dallas
	set me up with a pfSense computer plus the server. very
	secure, but just slightly overkill[?] ... my college friend
	thinks we can do everything with ifp or pf or ipfw and DNS,
	web and mail and /home.  A backup would be there justincase.

	ok, enuf,   [& tx],

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix