Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:01:54 -0500
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
To:        Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD +NFS + mail services

Oliver Brandmueller writes:

> Look at the sysctl vfs.nfs ->
> vfs.nfs.iodmin: 4
> vfs.nfs.iodmax: 20

Great thanks.

> In FreeBSD 6 you'll also find:
>
> vfs.nfs.iodmaxidle: 120
>
> Should be pretty self explanatory.

Tried to search for the meaning of that parameter. Could not find much info.
Care to share some light on it?

> benchmarks in your test area or before going to production. And while
> being in prod you could take the chance to make performance monitoring
> on all the machines and carefully change different variables

How do you monitor performance on nfs.. other than nfsstat?
would be usefull if vmstat included nfs mounts..

> I just migrated our NFS server(s) from 5.4 to 6.0 - our clients are
> mainly still 5-STABLE, only few 6-STABLE clients. I saw a few NFS
> locking problems (lockd starting to spin) with the server while it was
> still RELENG_5, especially after stating with RELENG_6 clients. This was
> clearly load dependant (started usually on busy days when the backup was
> running into daytime). I haven't seen this yet with RELENG_6 servers,
> but the migration was just one week ago and the backup scheme had been
> changed also to avoid the problem, so I'm not completely sure here.

So, basically on the little time you have had 6 your impression is that 6's
NFS server code performs better?