Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:03:36 +0530
From:      ashish@FreeBSD.org (Ashish SHUKLA)
To:        "Markus Hoenicka" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Emacs splash screen went to textmode only

Hi Markus,

Markus Hoenicka writes:
> Hi,

> I've recently updated Emacs to the latest version (23.2_2,2 from
> 23.1.1) along with all dependencies. Since then, the startup screen
> when running in an X window shows b/w text only like in the days of
> yore. Not that the startup screen graphics are that important, but
> things that don't work as expected tend to make me nervous.

Can you upload the screenshot of what you're getting ?

> According to startup.el, the following variables affect what is shown
> at startup. Evaluating them in the scratch buffer looks like this:

> inhibit-startup-screen
> nil
> initial-buffer-choice
> nil

> That is, the startup screen *should* be displayed, or am I missing
> something here?

> The interesting thing is that nothing else about the startup screen
> appears broken. If I evaluate

> (fancy-startup-screen)

> in the scratch buffer, i.e. the function which actually displays the
> startup screen, Emacs faithfully does so, including the graphics and
> all bells and whistles.

> Has anything fundamentally changed between these versions? Does Emacs
> think it runs in a terminal? Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Can you try starting Emacs in X11 with following command:

#v+
% emacs -q --no-site-file
#v-

Thanks
--
Ashish SHUKLA      | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116  20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

“We've so many people in India, that we're able to route each network
packet manually.” (nobotz)