Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:57:12 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu
Cc:        "Damien Fleuriot" <ml@my.gd>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tunneling ports

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:45:36 -0600 (CST), Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Fri, January 13, 2017 4:46 am, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> > On 13 January 2017 at 11:13, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org> wrote:
> >> I don't know if this could be easily achieved, but imagine the situation
> >> that you are in a network and the only ports being allowed for outgoing
> >> traffic into the Internet are ports 80 and 443.
> >
> > Well well... somebody's trying to circumvent their netadmin's
> > firewalls are they not ?
> >
> > It is not my place to question your motives, all I can offer is
> > technical advice along with a warning.
> >
> > If your netadmin has somewhat advanced measures in place such as a
> > transparent SSL proxy, you will get caught.
> > And if I caught you doing that, I'd nuke your account on the spot.
> > Just FYI ;)
>
> I would second that. I had a user on my server who was piercing firewall
> of external place (at his new job) using ssh to my server with port
> forwarding. I couldn't kick him out (sigh), but I disabled his ability to
> forward ports on my server (sysadmins usually will take the side of
> another sysadmin than rogue user). And restricted his account in many
> other respects. You go some place to work at, you accept their rules, all
> comes as a bundle.

A totally valid point of view. Lacking a "backstory" for the
original question, it's possible as well that the user is in
a "web-only" or "mobile first" network (which doesn't even
have to be a _work_ environment) where everything has to be
HTTP(S), because nothing else exists. This seems to be a
common mindset in wireless networks which are only intended
for people with smartphones, because a normal computer cannot
connect to WLAN because it doesn't have a WLAN cable. Then
some kind of lazy and uneducated "admin person" found a setting
in the firewall called "The Internet" and activated it... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany