Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DEVFS & sound drivers question

I've been playing with DEVFS and the SLICE code.  I ran into a problem
with running RealAudio 5.0 (Linux) which was that it likes to look
at the sound devices without a unit number at the end (ie. /dev/sndstat
instead of /dev/sndstat0).  The DEVFS entries are only made with the
unit number appended.  I modified the snd & pcm drivers such that
if the unit is "0" then also make the DEVFS entries for this device without
the unit number appended.  This and ownership changes of the devices lets
me run RealAudio with DEVFS.

Should DEVFS make these devices (MAKEDEV did)?
Should these be made as a sym-link and can DEVFS make a sym-link?

BTW, I haven't got to the vn device, but should soon.

Doug A.