Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 97 10:23:08 -0600
From:      kta@alien.ru (Tatiana Kichkaylo)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solved problem with com ports & Mach64.

Hi!

It's 1997 now, and I think I'm not the first with this problem, but...

>Environment:

Release:        FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE i386 from Walnut Creec CDROM, Jan 1996
Intel motherboard with chipset Triton rev 2 and on-board video Mach64.
Only com1 & com2 present. Address space of com3 & com4 is used by video
card.

In boot time, when a kernel probes sio, monitor falls into green mode.
Reason: in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c in function sioprobe kernel writes
into all likely_com_ports, while some of them are video ports now.

>How-To-Repeat:

Boot from any kernel with any sio turned on. With all of com ports turned
off booting is Ok.

>Fix:

With /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c

341a342
> #if NSIO>2
342a344,346
> #else
> static Port_t likely_com_ports[] = { 0x3f8, 0x2f8, };
> #endif

I've just decreased the length of this array for sioprobe
(and other functions) never writes to my video ports.

kta@alien.ru (Tatiana Kichkaylo)