Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:04:17 -0500
From:      Lotus_Mail_Exchange@CSERVE4.CCMAIL.compuserve.com
To:        "INTERNET:hackers@freefall.freebsd.org" <hackers@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   NON-DELIVERY of:  hackers-digest V1 #1663

Sender: owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org
From: <owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 05:00:14 -0800 (PST)
To: freebsd-hackers-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hackers-digest V1 #1663

hackers-digest           Thursday, 21 November 1996     Volume 01 : Number 1663

In this issue:
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Is FastVid implemented on XFree86?
Re: socket.h
Re: Is FastVid implemented on XFree86?
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Ipx to ip routing
vx driver problems
Re: WordPerfect 7.0 for FreeBSD :-)
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Help identifying a compressed file

From: davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:07:43 +1100
Subject: Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!

Michael Smith writes:
> > Yes, I use it quite a bit, but in a base distribution I don't really
> > see it as an appropriate tool. It is certainly easier that programming
> > in, say, bourne shell, and probably significantly faster too. But I
> > still think it is a mistake it being part of the base system.
>
> I think that there's a very important line to be drawn between "I
> don't think I need it in the system" and "It should not be in the
> system".

Agreed. But there's also the distinction between "needed" and
"desired". Certainly *I* regard Perl as an indispensible tool
for what I do. I'm less certain that everyone else would regard
it in the same light, which is why I still don't think it appropriate
for a *base* distribution.

> My point is that there are a sufficient number of people that consider
> Perl a 'should-have' to justify its inclusion on those grounds.

>From a more pragmatic standpoint, I disagree.

Yes, lots of people want or need it in what they do, but whether it
is *needed* to run/install/build the base system is a different
question. Right now there is some dependance on perl (and using an
outdated and unsupported version), but my worry is that it being
there in the first place is more likely to increase that dependance.

The point is not really whether perl4 disappears or not (it *must* do
so eventually - it is, as I said, old and unsupported) but whether
perl5 is needed in the base distribution.

Perl5 is huge and is delivered with quite a deal of bloat. Too big
for the small dependancies that currently exist. If we used perl
and most the anciliary modules and the scripts which depended on it
could not be so easily replaced (and I'll admit that sgmlfmt appears
to be one of those), then it would be justified.

> The latter point bears discussion; someone putting this point needs to
> offer a counter to the benefits promised by the former.  So far, most
> of the arguments have been "because I don't think it should be" (which
> counts for very little), or "because Perl keeps changing" (which has
> been comprehensively refuted by Perl users I am inclined to trust).

Yes, the "keeps changing" argument is indeed bogus. There are one
or two minor syntactic changes, which later versions of perl have
built-in warnings for are easily handled, certainly easily enough
done for the scripts that are actually installed under -current.

> Other arguments that have been offered for the latter in previous
> discussions; "Perl is too big" (size is relative, disk is cheap),
> "Perl would be too hard to track" (contrib scheme should fix this).
>
> I'm still open to argument on this; I just haven't heard a counter
> that holds up under scrutiny.

If all that was required for a proper perl5 distribution was the
perl executable itself, I'd have no real argument. It is all of
the unneeded (for the *base* distribution) cruft that comes with
it that is the problem. Even perl4 has this problem to a lesser
extent, but as I read it, this (size/unnecessary bloat problem)
is the root of the reluctance to upgrade perl4 to perl5.

Central to my argument is that perl4 is no longer viable. Either
perl should be removed completely from the base distribution, or
it should be upgraded to perl5. Personally, I favour removal,
because I'm a purist (a self-admitted fault :-)). This is not to
say that perl is not useful - *IT IS* - but that, like many other
useful things, it should be an addition to the base system. Even
in -current, we don't win very much from the expense of having it
(again, with the exception of sgmlfmt).

Regards,

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn

------------------------------

> > I think that there's a very important line to be drawn between "I
> > don't think I need it in the system" and "It should not be in the
> > system".
>
> Agreed. But there's also the distinction between "needed" and
> "desired". Certainly *I* regard Perl as an indispensible tool
> for what I do. I'm less certain that everyone else would regard
> it in the same light, which is why I still don't think it appropriate
> for a *base* distribution.

It's not a question of whether _everyone_ needs it, but whether a
sufficient number of people need it.  I think that so far the evidence
indicates that this is the case.

> Yes, lots of people want or need it in what they do, but whether it
> is *needed* to run/install/build the base system is a different
> question. Right now there is some dependance on perl (and using an
> outdated and unsupported version), but my worry is that it being
> there in the first place is more likely to increase that dependance.

If the only criteria for the 'base' system was whether the tool was
required to build the system, FreeBSD would me much skinnier.  I
seriously doubt that anyone would consider that a useful criteria on
which to judge something's "membership rights".

> Perl5 is huge and is delivered with quite a deal of bloat. Too big
> for the small dependancies that currently exist. If we used perl

You are still thinking of Perl in the light of its use as support for
other things in the system, rather than as a standard service for
users.  It is this latter case that most strongly argues for Perl in
the tree, as with Tcl.

> If all that was required for a proper perl5 distribution was the
> perl executable itself, I'd have no real argument. It is all of
> the unneeded (for the *base* distribution) cruft that comes with
> it that is the problem. Even perl4 has this problem to a lesser
> extent, but as I read it, this (size/unnecessary bloat problem)
> is the root of the reluctance to upgrade perl4 to perl5.

If the bloat is truly excessive, then it belongs in a seperate
distribution (eg. perl-support) that can be added to the system if
required.  I seriously doubt whether the alleged 'bloat' would
actually be significant in the big picture.

I would hope that the growth of the "standard footprint" of FreeBSD
would encourage the minimalist faction to actually extract their
digits and do something about identifying the "core" of the system and
making it a base component.

I'm entirely in agreement with the basic principle, but I strongly
believe that we need to incorporate mature and ubiquitous tools in
as seamless and standard a fashion as possible.

> David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia

- --