Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:00:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Force pccard controller to specific irq

> On 1999 Mar 23, Mike Smith (aka mike@smith.net.au) wrote:
> >
> > If you're using 3.1 or later, make sure you've removed the redundant
> > load of the pcic module in /etc/rc.pccard.
>
> I was unwittingly responsible for the recent (too many due to my
> typos) changes in /etc/rc.pccard
>
> > Also, if the correct variable is set in /boot/loader.rc, the pcic
> > driver will use the specified IRQ.  Make sure you haven't made a typo.
>
> What would be the correct call?  This is 3.1-R (I will be updating to
> 3.1-Stable on these guys).
>
> I had tried adding the following to /boot/loader.rc:
>
> set machdep.pccard.pcic_irq=10
>
> both before and after and without a
>
> load /kernel
>
> I think I even tried using a load pcic.ko, also, but to no
> avail ... it _always_ uses IRQ3.   I know this is unpopular
> comment, but could we allow for a kernel option to set the
> pcic_irq value a la PAO folks?
>
> Thanks ... I will try some of the other folks suggestions
> viz hardcoding it in the /sys/pccard/{pcic,pccard}.c

How about just instrumenting the code in pcic.c and telling us why it's
not recognising the interrupt value you've set?  There's a perfectly
good mechanism in place; if it's not working it needs to be fixed, not
kludged around.

The solution you're proposing is *exactly* what's wrong with the PAO
code - you're not fixing something so that it works like it should,
you're just making a mess and avoiding the problem.