Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:56:42 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

> Where do I sign up?
> "FreeBSD Marketing: Who Do You Want To Picket And Beat To Death With Stats
> Today?"

Heh, you joke, but Mike Smith and I were kicking ourselves today
thinking "DAMN!  After that big Linux user's group meeting, a big bus
went up to the Mozilla party several times with busloads of Linux
advocates and what a wasted opportunity!  We could have had a guy in a
Chuck costume standing there, handing out FreeBSD CDs (along with a
little pamphlet describing how a Linux user might evaluate and
possibly transition to FreeBSD) to each person getting off the bus.
Damn damn damn!  We suck at marketing!"

Our comments were half in jest, but little PR stunts like this, done
in the proper humor, are seriously worth doing if you can pull them
off.  It'd also be kinda nice if we pulled one off occasionally rather
than just thinking about it afterwards, and for that we need better
advance notification and planning when such opportunities present
themselves.  Should any of you spot such an opportunity and need some
help in making it happen, let us know!

					Jordan